I really wish I could go back in time to when I was just a kid and could play games all the time. Although I’d want to take my current Steam collection back with me so I don’t have to play those old games that existed back then. And maybe a Flux Capacitor based VPN so I could connect to the current Guild Wars 2 servers from back then. And probably my broadband internet connection so I’m not stuck on dial-up.
Ya’ll can keep your Facebook though… don’t need to hear your political views, whining about your ex-husband/boyfriend/girlfriend or 18 daily pictures of cute cats, thank you.
Back on topic… Currently most of my time is devoted to Guild Wars 2. I have an Elementalist that is level 21, a Guardian who is level 41, and a bunch of level 1 alts that are holding names for eventual characters I want to play. I’m not sure that I want to play the Guardian though for a few different reasons but I can’t put her down. It’s partly because the current prices for selling Gold for Gems is really quite low and I have a feeling that this will adjust upwards in time, so I’m trying to make as much money as I can to buy as many gems as possible. This means leveling up since the money gets better and better the higher you get.
That’s not to say that I’m rushing through content… actually, I’m only about 2/3 of the way through my first 25-35 zone and I’ve completed 7 or 8 zones so far! I’m really really having fun, and the guardian is a ton of fun to play. What follows is my own attempt to decide whether or not to play the Guardian or play something else.
- Does great damage with a 2H Greatsword
- Able to support others very well with Staff
- As a Norn, switching to Wolf form is EPIC
- Already level 41 and the higher zones seem to have better event chains which are a blast
- Melee is a quick way to die in many fights with Champions and Bosses
- Support doesn’t get nearly as much credit in events or especially PVP where only kills matter
- Only real ranged option is the Scepter whose damage is meh
I’m thinking that I’ll stick to the Guardian for now, but I am starting to get the shakes to roll an alt. I love that there is no subscription to GW2 and I don’t have to feel bad on the 21st when Borderlands 2 comes out!
I got 30/50!!!!!
On that note, it’s almost 2AM here and I need to be up in a few hours for work. I know I have been slacking on the posts, but partly that is because I’ve been kind of bored with the games I have been playing… Guild Wars… grind to 30/50 took forever and a few times I almost gave up. Star Trek Online? When they said that small Fleets wouldn’t be at a disadvantage… they lied. Grinding Fleet Marks and committing all of my duty officers to the dark pit that is our Starbase… How do they honestly expect a smallish fleet to really compete? Oh well, time for bed… at least I met my 30/50 goal finally! Now if I can just make my “post semi-regularly, and not just once a month” goal………
ArenaNet finally announced the launch date for Guild Wars 2! August 28th is the big day… and I am quite excited to play for real. I have dabbled with the Beta a little bit, but I find it hard to invest much time on characters that are just going to be wiped. Teaser trailer is below… quite excited about the running/jumping part of the video. Not sure if that’s the jumping dungeon I’ve heard about or not, but it looks interesting.
Also of note is that there will be one last Beta Weekend Event running from July 20th-22nd. I’m debating about taking that Monday off of work. I have missed all of the cool BWE end events since I am the Eastern Timezone and it is hard to stay up until 3AM when I have to work in the morning. Ok, let’s be honest… I’m starting to get old and it’s hard to stay up that late anyways.
Nerd Time Addendum
I managed to get a couple hours of game time in last night and finished up Mass Effect 2 again. Now I just need to do the Shadow Broker and Arrival DLC’s. I hear the Shadow Broker is excellent and I’m excited for Arrival to lead me in to Mass Effect 3. I’m taking a few days off work next week to get projects done and just relax, so maybe I’ll find time to finish up Guild Wars HoM and get rocking on ME3! Oh, and of course get my projects done… of course.
Everyone else is taking time to post their thought so might as well do what all the cool kids are doing!
I didn’t get as much time to play the Guild Wars 2 Beta as I would have liked. What I did get to play was a ton of fun. The classes that I dabbled with all seemed to be very different and I know it will be difficult for me to choose just one (and an alt or 4). So ultimately with the little time I had to play this weekend, am I still happy that I pre-ordered?
Things I’m excited about:
- I really see this as a game that will suck me in and the completionist in me will go nuts.
- Graphics are really fantastic on my desktop but if lowered to their lowest settings will be playable on my laptop. This is a must for a game right now to really draw me in so I can play on the couch from time to time and get credit in the “hanging with wife” account while still gaming!
- Charr look cool and I love the running on all fours animation. Sick of playing standard humans or pointy eared humans (Elves and/or Vulcans)
- Loved the way that quests are somewhat hidden. No quest log, just bring up your map and look for something to do.
- With an exception or two the Cash Shop appears to be all cosmetics that I could care less about really, so cheaper for me!
- Buy the box and no subscription! Can’t stress enough how much I enjoy not having to pay a subscription every month.
Things that concern me
- When the early zone’s populations inevitably thin out will the Events be as much fun or even doable solo?
- One of the big things that the Devs talked about was having skills that played off each other. Maybe it was just the crazy hectic nature of 40 players all jammed into one location but I wasn’t able to easily recognize any combinations.
- Slightly worried about content. I haven’t heard how often a new expansion pack will come out. If they stick to the original Guild Wars method of a new campaign every year or so that would be enough. Not a huge worry but I am curious to see if there’s info I’ve missed.
- Mystic Lock Boxes. Gah…. does every Free or Semi-Free game have to have these now. I’m still a little cranky about the lock boxes in Star Trek Online so maybe I’ll get over this as well. Will partly depend on what is in the loot table for the boxes I guess.
If anything, the Beta Weekend has gotten me even more excited for Guild Wars 2 to launch. I have since started back up with the original Guild Wars to try to get 30/50 in my Hall of Monuments. Some of the rewards just look so cool I can’t resist!